Saturday, 18 December 2010

Rumtopf :0)

After 2 months of 'stewing' I decided today to add a touch more sugar to the Rumptopf. While I was in the kitchen I thought I'd fill 3 jars up for Christmas gifts.

They'll need to be left another month before it's really sweet enough to eat, longer if you like it really sweet (!) so I'll pop some instructions on to the jars too when I get a few spare minutes. Once it's ready it's delicious over vanilla ice-cream, spooned onto waffles, or just eaten on it's own!




Recipe for Rumtopf:

1lb fruit (strawberries, cherries, nectarines, grapes, pears)
1/2 sugar
Dark rum (!)

Cut and peel fruit where appropriate, place in the croc pot (or large pan) and sprinkle with sugar. Leave for 10 minutes and pour over enough rum to cover the fruit. Place the lid on and store in a cool dark place for a minimum of 2 months.

Add more fruit as it comes into season, adding a little sugar and more rum each time.  The longer it's left, the softer the fruit will become - it tastes great spooned over ice-cream, over waffles, or just eaten on it's own!

No comments:

Post a Comment